What makes certain people rebound while others relapse, and what equips some people to snap back rather than snap? Resiliency!!! This courageous word when put into action gives you the capacity to cope with difficulty, persevere through adversity, and to recover quickly from challenges. So, what can you do to build stronger resiliency muscles? Research shows that resilience may be the new superpower. Check out the 8 things resilient people have in common, and consider a few of the many ways you can strengthen your life in these areas.
How can you improve your self-awareness skills?
- Pause and breath
- Be mindful and present in the moment
- Connect to your thoughts/feelings/sensations
- Be curious and spend time doing self-discovery
How can you strengthen your self-regulation skills?
- Practice the 4 P Framework™ Before you react pause, process, pivot if needed, and proceed forward with greater intention
- Know your triggers
- Develop strategies to manage your stress
- Be patient with yourself and others
How can you practice greater self-care?
- Make yourself a priority
- Do activities that make you happy
- Spend time with people you love
- Move, fuel, rest and maintain your body
- Emotional Expression
How can you improve your ability to express yourself?
- Notice how your emotions show up physically
- Identify and name your emotions
- Don’t hold your emotions in
- Process and express your feelings
How can you practice being self-supportive?
- Be aware of your inner critic
- Practice positive self-talk
- Reframe your thinking – i.e. When things don’t go right, it is an opportunity to learn and grow.
- Learn to hold 2 truths – i.e. I am struggling. This is really hard on me right now.
I am grateful for my support system, I know I am strong and will get through this.
How can you become more optimistic?
- Practice positive thinking
- Train your brain to notice the positives
- Envision a positive future state
- Look for the bright side in every situation
- Support System
How can you build and leverage your support system?
- Cultivate healthy relationship
- Determine who you want in your inner circle
- Don’t view needing help as a weakness
- Trust your tribe, ask for help, and know when to call in the calvary
- Sense of Purpose
How can you find your sense of purpose?
- Examine what gives your life meaning
- Align your passion with your life’s purpose
- Use your gifts to make a difference in the world
- Find comfort in knowing that you are part of something bigger than yourself
As you move through this amazing and sometimes messy thing called life, don’t underestimate yourself or the importance of resiliency.
“When life gets tough lean into hope, trust yourself, flex your resiliency muscles and you will get to the other side”. – Terrie Reeves
Make RESILIENCY your new superpower!
Empower Health America wants to help. What is your organization doing to help employees manage through these difficult times? Empower Health America is partnering with organizations to create a more resilient culture, one employee at a time. Resiliency – Make it Your New Superpower is a new program that we launched on 11.2.2020 designed to help organizations and their employees build and flex their resiliency muscles. Click here and check out some of the comments from one of our virtual sessions. We have had to pivot and adapt to this new virtual world, but you can still create a sense of community and engage and empower your employees.